MSP allows submission of claims up to 90 days after the service date of when you have seen the patient. If you have claims that are older than 90 days that have yet to be submitted, you will need to request approval from MSP to submit the over-age claims.
You must submit form HLTH 2943 no later than six months after the date of service. Only in very exceptional circumstances will claims be approved retrospectively up to 18 months. No claims will be approved beyond 18 months ago.
You can submit the form found here http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/health/forms/2943fil.pdf to MSP requesting approval.
Once you have gained MSP acceptance of your overage claims, they need to be submitted with the submission code 'A'. To do this in ClinicAid, when you're creating your invoice you would need to click over to the 'advanced' tab, and then the first field will be a 'submission code' dropdown. Simply select "A - Post 90 day - Requested Pre-Approval" and then send the invoice as per usual.
Submit late WorkSafeBC claims with code "W". No Form HLTH 2943 “Practitioner Request for Approval of Over-Age Claims” is required. The claims must be re-submitted within 90 days from the remittance date of the original claims.
Submit late ICBC claims with code "I". No Form HLTH 2943 “Practitioner Request for Approval of Over-Age Claims” is required for ICBC claims. The claims must be resubmitted within 90 days from the remittance date of the original claims.
Submission Code Explanations:
- ‘A’: submission of over-age MSP claim. A written pre-approval is requested from MSP (form HLTH 2943). This claim must match a pre-authorized record created by MSP claims staff.
- ‘X’: -re-submission of over-age MSP claims that was refused or partially paid during adjudication; a Claim Note is required.
- ‘C’: Subscriber coverage problem; a Claim Note is required.
- ‘W’: Over-age WorkSafeBC claim submitted/re-submitted to WorkSafeBC or re-billed to MSP if MSP is determined to be the payee. If you re-submitted the claim to WorkSafeBC it also has to include ‘WCB’ in the insurer type field.
- ‘I’: Over-age ICBC claims. All ICBC claims also have to include ICBC Claim number if known, include ICBC in the insurer type field.