Claims for Locum Time Codes are submitted on a daily basis for Direct Patient Care, Indirect Patient Care, and Clinical Administration.
One or more claims may be submitted for each Time Code each day. There is no requirement to separately claim for the time spent with each individual patient.
Start and end times on each block of time must be entered on the billing claim.
Only one Time Code or Locum Time Code at a time is payable. The start and end times for each code must not overlap. Time Codes and Locum Time Codes are billed in 15-minute increments. The number of 15-minute units of time providing Clinic-based Services is totalled over the whole day and entered as the number of services on the claim.
A physician must work the full 15 minutes to bill for that 15-minute increment.
The following information MUST be included when submitting Locum Time Codes:
- MSP Payee Number
- Practitioner Number
- Date of service
- Time Code or Locum Time Code (using the fee item field in Teleplan)
- Start time (for each block of time)
- End time (for each block of time)
- Time units - the number of 15-minute time units (if a Locum physician provides 50 minutes of Direct Patient Care, they are entitled to claim 3 units of “98040 LFP Locum Direct Patient Care Time – per 15 minutes)
- ICD-9 diagnostic code: L23
- Location Code, and
- Facility Number
- Referred by Billing Number (The MSP Practitioner number of the LFP Host Physician is required on all Locum Time Codes when a physician is providing LFP Locum Services. )
You can update your Provider Record, by entering it in the "Facility Number" Field as shown below.
- 98040 LFP Locum Direct Patient Care Time – per 15 minutes
- 98041 LFP Locum Indirect Patient Care Time – per 15 minutes
- 98042 LFP Locum Clinical Administration Time – per 15 minutes
To enter your start and end time, click on the "Extra Fields", next to the service date.